Saturday, February 23, 2008

Practice with Useful Japanese Phrases

Guess what? The hiragana practice games I found were really effective. I almost have all the characters memorized. Sa (さ) and chi (ち) kinda confuse me though. But I'll try to figure out a way to remember which is which.

Anyway, I found phrases in hiragana and translated them to romaji and english. I had a bit of trouble figuring out where the spaces should go since I'm not that familiar with all the Japanese words yet. But, I still got through it with the help of Google.

  • おっす (ossu) - hello (used between close male friends)

  • もしもし (moshi moshi) - hello (used on the phone)

  • ようこそ (youkoso) - welcome

  • どこからですか (doko kara desu ka) - Where are you from?

  • どちらからですか (dochira kara desu ka) - Where are you from? (formal)

  • おやすみなさい (oyasumi nasai) - good night

  • さようなら (sayounara) - good bye

  • じゃあまたね (jaa mata ne) - see you later

  • どうぞめしあがれ (douzo meshiagare) - enjoy your meal (said by the cook)

  • ごきげんよう (gokigen you) - good bye/good luck

  • わかりません (wakarimasen) - I don't understand

  • すみません (sumimasen) - excuse me

  • いくらですか (ikura desu ka) - How much is this?

  • ごめんなさい (gomen nasai) - sorry

  • どうもありがとうございます (doumo arigatou gozaimasu) - thank you very much

Whew, that was a lot! I'm getting the hang of it though. :-) 'Till next time... さようなら!

No comments: