Thursday, February 28, 2008

Translating Hug by 東方神起: Part 3

I'm going to squeeze in translating this second line of Hug by 東方神起 (Tohoshinki) before I go off to work...

なぜか素直に声に出せない、いえないよ

  • なぜか - somehow
  • 素直 (すなお) - obedient; meek; docile; unaffected
  • に - to
  • 声 (こえ) - voice
  • 出せない - cannot (出 - で)
  • いえないよ - cannot say

It took me awhile to figure out 出せない (dasenai) and いえないよ (ienaiyo) since the online dictionaries didn't have them on. I had to scour Google and figure out the meaning from their context in sentences. Despite that I'm not even 100% sure yet that my translation is correct.

But anyway here goes... literal translation would be "Somehow meek, I cannot voice, I cannot say." What a load of jiberish! But from the context of the first line, I could reword this line to this... "But somehow I can't get the courage to say it to you, cannot say a word."

Of course when I get the whole song down, I'll tweak things here and there, just to make the translation perfect. じゃあまたあした!

Source
Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Server
Google

No comments: