Thursday, February 28, 2008

Translating Hug by 東方神起: Part 2

Ok here's the very first line of the song Hug by 東方神起 (Tohoshinki).

この想いを伝えたいのに Ooo baby

With the help of Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Server and my Berlitz Japanese Compact Dictionary, I've managed to work out these translations for the first line...

  • この - this/these
  • 想い - feelings; affection (想 - おも)
  • を - (particle)
  • 伝えたい - wanting to show feelings (伝 - つた)
  • の - (posessive)
  • に - to

Taking into consideration that in the Japanese language, "I" and "you" are understood based from the context, I figured out that the literal translation should be "I want to show you these feelings of mine." But, if I follow this translation, the syllable count would be totally off compared its Japanese counterpart. Since this is a song, I'm giving myself a bit of artistic licence.

Here's my translation for the first line: "I wanna let you know how I feel about you."

That's it for now, I'll continue this over the weekend. じゃあまたあした!

Source
Jim Breen's WWWJDIC Server

No comments: