Saturday, March 8, 2008

Translating Hug by 東方神起: Part 9

Here are the last two verses of Hug by 東方神起. After I translate these, I'll look over my translation of the whole song again to make sure that everything goes well together.

This next verse is exactly the same with the one from part 5.

両手を広げて

  • 両手 (りょうて) - (with) both hands
  • 広げて - to widen; to broaden (広 - ひる)

キミのそのすべてを

  • キミ - you
  • その - that; those; the
  • すべて - entirely; whole

この腕で受けとめて

  • この - this; the
  • 腕で - arm (腕 - うで)
  • 受けとめて - take; reaction; catch (受 - う)

抱きしめたいんだ

  • 抱きしめたいんだ - I want to hug you (抱 - だ)

Literal translation for this verse would be:

I'll widen both hands
For the whole of you
I'll take you in my arms
I want to hug you

After polishing it up a bit here's my version:

I'm right here with wide open arms
Right here entirely for you
Take you in my arms, never let you go
Can't tell you how much I want to

Next up is the very last verse!

決して離さない

  • 決して (けって) - never; by no means
  • 離さない (はなさない) - to part; divide; separate

誰にも渡さない

  • 誰にも (だれにも) - cannot... anybody
  • 渡さない (わたさない) - to hand over

気がつけば抱きよせて

  • 気がつけば (きがつけば) - become aware of; realize
  • 抱きよせて (だきよせて) - embrace

囁いてたんだ, I love you

  • 囁いて (ささやいて) - to whisper; to murmur
  • たんだ - tender

I have a correction to that last line... It's actually...

囁いて + いた + のだ
short-te form + past tense + reason

I'm modifying my translation below and my final translation. Thanks to Kyoufu for helping me with this one.

Whew! Most of these words aren't in dictionaries and I had a terribly hard time translating them. I hope I got them all right. Anyway, here's the translation...

We will never part
I cannot hand you over to anybody
I realize and hug you
I whispered because, I love you

So, my version for that would be...

Don't want us to ever part
Won't let anyone take you from me
Now I realize, I won't let you go
And whisper because baby, I love you

Whoohoo! That's the last one! :-) Yay, I just finished translating my first song. In my next entry, I'll post my whole translation, and maybe change things around a bit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

囁いてたんだ, I love you

* 囁いて (ささやいて) - to whisper; to murmur
* たんだ - tender

This is actually

囁いて + いた + のだ

short-te form+past tense + reason

In casual, spoken language it's most often abbreviated like this.

Maris said...

I see! :-) I'm still not familiar with common abbreviations in the Japanese language. Thanks for the clarification, I'll modify my translation.