Saturday, March 1, 2008

Translating Hug by 東方神起: Part 5

I can't believe how long this is taking me. I guess it's because I'm attempting to translate a song in a language I'm not even close to being good at. Anyway, I'm going to try to translate more lines today. Here's the next verse of Hug by: 東方神起.

両手を広げて

  • 両手 (りょうて) - (with) both hands
  • 広げて - to widen; to broaden (広 - ひる)


キミのそのすべてを

  • キミ - you
  • その - that; those; the
  • すべて - entirely; whole

この腕で受けとめて

  • この - this; the
  • 腕で - arm (腕 - うで)
  • 受けとめて - take; reaction; catch (受 - う)

抱きしめたいんだ

  • 抱きしめたいんだ - I want to hug you (抱 - だ)

Literal translation for this verse would be:

I'll widen both hands
For the whole of you
I'll take you in my arms
I want to hug you

After polishing it up a bit here's my version:

I'm right here with wide open arms
Right here entirely for you
Take you in my arms, never let you go
Can't tell you how much I want to

I'm not totally happy with the second line of this verse but my creative juices are all squeezed out. That'll have to do for now. On to the next verse...

でもまだぼくには

  • でも - but
  • まだ - still
  • ぼくには - for me

なにかが足りなくて

  • なにか - something
  • 足りなくて - missin; lacking (足 - た)

頼りなく揺れている

  • 頼りなく continuing - (頼 - たよ)
  • 揺れて - to shake; to sway (揺 - ゆ)
  • いる - be present; have

いえない想いは, I love you

  • いえない - cannot say
  • 想い - feelings; affection (想 - おも)

So literally, that would mean...

But still for me
Something is missing
I continue to shake
Cannot say my feelings
I love you

My version for this verse would be...

Despite everything that I do
I'm still missing, longing for you
But when I'm with you, I just start to shake
Can't tell you what's in my heart
I love you

Whoa, that like went to a totally different direction. Hmmm, I'll see if I can some up with something better later but I'll keep this translation for now. I'm just too obsessed with keeping the rythym consistent with the Japanese lyrics. Oh well.

No comments: